Wednesday, October 19, 2005

The Big One


And now, for the big one.

I'm talking about my oldest child, H K, known to most as just H.

I last posted about E just being E and the funny things she comes up with. At two, you notice the changes and appreciate the toddler wisdom. Certainly more so than we do at, say, age 7. Well, yesterday I had my eyes opened to the wisdom of my beautiful girl.

As most know, H started school last year and found great success at all things school related. This was a dream come true for us. We enjoyed our summer, but as the beginning of school approached, she grew tremendously excited, ecstatic almost. She met her teacher found some friends, off to another great start. Since I am at school quite often, I know how she is doing, in a very general manner. As we prepared for our conference, I briefed Dad on what we might be talking about with her teacher, reading levels & test scores. We talked about any questions we might have for the teacher. I felt prepared. That is until the counselor came to visit me as I subbed in the Art room. In her hands, the test scores.

You know how your heart swells with pride and joy when you see & hear others praising your child. This was different. The hairs on my arm raised and tears just started flowing, before she even spoke. She joined my tearful moment, just letting me know, probably some of the best words a mom could hear, "You've really got a great kid." No need to discuss the reading, writing or arithmetic. Everything was better than imagined. Here I was, getting all excited to see her progress report, when I was presented, basically one of my own. Never mind the numerous papers and projects completed in my school years. That was all just practice for the "big one".

H, you are my A+ kid, always and forever.

No comments: